Pages

Friday, June 8, 2007

Tondlichi Peeth Perun Bhaaji (Tondli with Chickpea flour)

I had planned to make this bhaaji at the start of the week, but somehow it got postponed till today. Meanwhile, I saw other recipes with 'tondli' (Tindora/Ivy gourd) being posted for the 'T' of Indian Vegetables, hosted by Nupur of 'One Hot Stove', and added them to my already long list of bookmarked recipes. I did have two other 'T' recipes that did not invlove 'tondli', but then decided to go with the flow... :) So here I go with my tondli recipe for this week's 'T' of Indian Vegetables.
I have learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law and it has become my favourite ever since. This bhaaji is easy to make and extremely delicious! You can use fresh or frozen tondli for this recipe. This time I got really good, fresh tondli but I am not always lucky...so, on such occasions I turn to frozen tondli and it works just fine.

Ingredients: (serves 2)
Chopped Tondli 2 cups
Besan (Chickpea flour) 3 tbsp
Daanyacha koot (roasted peanut powder) 1tsp
Lemon juice 1tsp
Mohri (mustard seeds) 1/2 tsp
Jeere (Cumin seeds) 1/2 tsp
Hing 1/4 tsp
Haldi (turmeric powder) 1/2 tsp
Oil 1 tbsp
Cayenne pepper 1-2 tsp (according to taste)
Salt

Method:
Wash and then chop the tondli either into small round slices or lengthwise. In a kadhai, heat
the oil, then add mohri, jeere, hing and halad to make a fodni (tadka). Then, to this, add the chopped tondli. Let the tondli cook. Do not add water or it will get too soggy. Sprinkle a little salt while cooking, which will bring out the moisture from the tondli. Cover to help cook faster and keep stirring frequently. Once the tondli is cooked, sprinkle the besan over it and mix. Pour a little water (about 1 tsp) over the bhaaji, add cayenne pepper and salt, then cover and cook for a minute or two. Then add the peanut powder and lemon juice. Mix well and garnish with cilantro.



5 comments:

FH said...

Tondlis everywhere this week!:))
I don't mond at all,lovely looking dish.I will try next time.
I love the Mohri for mustard!!

TheCooker said...

Never tried peeth-perun tondli! They must taste good, though.

Raaga said...

Similar to mine, with a few more things. I love the taste of peanuts and will try this version for sure.

Pooja V said...

Hey
I make tenndali atleast once a week here but never tried it making with peeth..a must try :)).

Suma Gandlur said...

Never tried cooking tindora with besan. Looks delicious. My mom makes a similar dish with bitter gourd.