Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sweet & Spicy Cabbage

Today i had one of my favorite veggies for lunch--cabbage. I just love it! It is so versatile.I have 2-3 different versions of cooking cabbage.But today i am going to share the recipe that my mom makes and its my favorite!

Ingredients:
1/2 a cabbage (about 2 cups) chopped
2 tbsps chana dal soaked in water for about 30 mins.
Jaggery 2-3 tbsps (may be replaced with brown sugar)
Cayenne pepper 2 -3 tsps
Mustard seeds for tadka
Hing(Asefoetida)
Turmeric 1 tsp
Oil about 1 tbsp
A little cilantro to garnish

Method:
In a pan/kadhai,heat the oil. Once ready, add the mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add a little bit of hing and turmeric powder. Then add the washed and chopped cabbage to the tadka. Mix in the soaked chana dal at this point, add a little water and cover to cook. Once the cabbage is cooked and all the water has evaporated, add cayenne pepper and jaggery. Mix well. It is ready to serve once the jaggery is well incorporated and there are no lumps visible. Garnish with cilantro.
This recipe is a little sweeter than usual recipes but the cayenne pepper balances the taste wonderfully and i am sure nobody will mind the sweet. Serve with hot chapatis and raita....yum! Pure nostalgia!!!




5 comments:

Vani said...

hi Tee..

I love cabbage this way too. And also pith ghalun keleli bhaji.

u just made me remember those wonder years..garam garam tup lavlelya polya ani kobichi bhaji..mm...bliss...

thanx for posting this.:)

Tee said...

hey vani!
thanks for your thoughts...i love pith ghalun keleli bhaaji too.

evolvingtastes said...

Tee, I tried out your sweet-spicy cabbage and it turned out very well. Thanks for this very typical maharashtrian recipe, which incidentally wasn't common at our house. Will be definitely making it again, and again. :-)

Tee said...

Thanks! I am glad you liked it. :)

Aparna said...

Hi Tee :),
I tried out your cabbage and it was awesome. I just loved it. Though I am tamilian, I am a total Puneri. Been there for 16 years now and I just love anything Maharashtrian!! :)